My Life Journal

Jon Tan. Born: April 1976. Reborned: June 2004 in the mighty name "Jesus of Nazereth". Serving God wholeheartedly. Love you as much as how God loves you when He send His one and only son to the cross.

Monday, May 16, 2005

A Timely Answer Indeed

Just when I woke up feeling guilty going to church this morning, I was in for a good surprise. If you have read about my ending of my last entry on “Boozes & Boobs versus Bread & Bible”, I was praying for “Self-Control” and I was also worried about the high price that Christians will be paying to follow Christ. This morning, God again answered me again at the timing only He knows best! Perhaps I shall just summarize what the sermon is and you digest it yourself…

Topic: Living Life On The Edge
Bible Verse: John 12:24
“I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains a seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.”

Jon says: A short but powerful verse. Following Christ is actually a journey of slowly dropping off your old habits one by one and picking up the new “Life” bit by bit until your life is totally transformed… It is a very long and difficult process, as you have to give up many wonderful things in life that we used to be doing but was not “right” in God’s eyes… Though what is “Right” & “Wrong” are subjective individually, so it is essential that we study the Word of God, or in short The Holy Bible, understand it, and put it into practice. It is something that everyone of us struggle to do, but knowing that God is faithful and real in shaping our lives, most of us were compelled and encourage to follow what He wants us to do…

To explain John 12:24, Pastor Ben actually preached it into 2 parts this morning:

1. Following Christ means dying to SELF. (verse 24-a)

In short the process of dying to SELF is actually very well demonstrated by our Lord, Jesus Christ. Been crucified, buried & resurrected; in this case, “crucifying” our old habits, “burying” them and been “resurrected” with a new life. 3 simple steps indeed, BUT just how many of us are willing to do that? Like I mentioned in my earlier entry, how many people are willing to exchange “Boozes & Boobs” for “Bread & Bible”? Jesus has also mentioned this in Luke 9:23 “… If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”

Maybe you are asking what are the things to be “crucified” now, well Jesus’ answer to you can be found in Colossians 3:5 “Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly things: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.” In fact, it really takes more than courage, my friend! With our today’s society, our cultures have all been “re-shaped” by the world, especially - the media! What do you think how most people feel when TV serials like “Sex & the City” and “Desperate Housewives” are among the all time favorite lists!?

2. Death Of SELF brings FRUITFULNESS. (verse 24-b)

Jesus has said in Mathew 10:39 “Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” Perhaps many of us had hear people saying that they have tried finding God but to no avail…or perhaps you are the one saying that… so now ask yourself what have you done during the process of seeking God? Especially those who were from “Catholic” / “Christian” schools from young, who claimed to know Jesus and had read the bible many times but still do not know God personally, its time to reflect again…

Frankly speaking, during this 11 months journey of seeking Christ, I must admit that there were a lot of things I am still trying to “crucify”, however looking back what I was, I guess I have done whatever I could from my own capacity… True enough we will stumble and fall at times, but the experience of God been there to guide you and lift you up from that “pit-hole” is something that re-assured me that He is there… Just like your lifetime “lover”, been with you when you are most vulnerable, dropping encouragements whenever you require them and revealing His power to give you the confidence you need in life. I guess most of us had relationships before and should understand what I am saying. Well… ending my note, all I have to say is “Lord, you have overwhelmed me!”

Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home