My Life Journal

Jon Tan. Born: April 1976. Reborned: June 2004 in the mighty name "Jesus of Nazereth". Serving God wholeheartedly. Love you as much as how God loves you when He send His one and only son to the cross.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

“Boozes & Boobs” versus “Bread & Bible”

This morning (Sat morning) I woke up feeling like the most sinful person in church. Like Paul was compelled to share the gospels with the people during the early church planting days, I am now compelled to share with you the dark truth about today’s fallen world and the challenges that all of us (especially Christ Followers) will be facing. And the most freaking thing when I recall back is that God actually put me through this experience on Friday, 13th! (Guess you must be thinking what the hell had happened to me right? Read on…)

To those not in media industry, last Friday was actually FHM’s party and the announcement of the top 100 sexist woman was on the agenda! Just like how “sex” could stir up interest, my media friends had also made plans for this event. As their friend and “supplier” in the media business, I was compelled to go. Anyway after God has empowered me over the last 11 months, what can still “tempt” me right? Since God is with me, whom shall I fear?

However it didn’t take me long to realize that we were just another vulnerable being whether God is with you or not.

As expected, the event started off with a “bang” as 7 top female Eurasians models walked out of the stage in skimpy sexy lingerie. One by one each model paraded down the runway flaunting their assets with cheers from every corner in that all too familiar Zouk’s dance floor. Yes, I was one of them with my eyes sticking to every of their movements. Wolf whistles were everywhere and up there the models were all professionals and posed to the beats… Over at our table, we were toasting each other with every sexy pose made… without realizing much, I had downed 4 glasses of Ginger Ales and another 4 Johnny Walker with coke!

For those not in media, these are the things that keeps people coming back for media functions… eye catching shows, music, free flow of alcohol and women!!! As for gals, there will be gorgeous men as well…

Indeed it was a SWELLING function. We were treated with the countdown of Top 100 sexist woman from around the world, there were sexy runway models entertaining us in intervals with lingerie, bikinis and translucent sexy casual wear with nothing underneath… Guys were left gasping the air as disco lights shone onto the models’ body revealing their contours. Air con needs to be on the MAX to bring down the heat, tissues were in demand as most guys ended up with bleeding noses and the drinks just couldn’t stop filling up our table. Before the function ended, I felt my temperature on boiling point as my whole face heated up! I realized that I was on a high as I could sense that I was no longer standing but floating… Everyone seemed friendlier and we were talking more openly…

One thing about group outing is this: its either you “get” into the same level of “soberness” or go home… it is also to “talk” in the same frequency with them or shut up… As a “supplier” in the media industry, I guess the answer was very clear to you now.

I was actually the first person to reach that “high” level as I was drinking with an empty stomach. To a point I had to rush to toilet and gulped tap water to bring my “high” down. It was still all right for me as I was already used to drinking in the past, so I knew how to keep myself in the “safety” level. However it was the “PR” that made me felt way too “sinful”… In order to communicate with media people, I had to “speak” their language… Without long, I was back to my “old” self-swearing savvy media guy. Chats during this kind of function never moved away from women… Yes, like I said, it was a night purely based on boozes and boobs! Suddenly, I was behaving like a typical media guy… drinking and talking like a pro in the game.

I hit the cab at 3am in the morning with the smell of Johnny Walker lingering in my mouth. I was feeling so “high” that I could swallow an elephant. My mind was filled with images of sexy models and I recounted I probably sweared dozens of “F@#K” from my mouth… It was a night that I had left GOD at home… yes; it was a night that I was a SINNER! Just like Matthew 26:41 says – “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

I managed to cook a bowl of Maggie mee when I reached home. It was the only time after a long night that I could face my Lord finally. I managed to remember to give thanks for the bowl of Maggie mee before I swallowed it up. My prayers when giving thanks was this: To wash all sinful deeds from my mouth into my digestive system. To replenish my stinking soul and mind & to refresh myself with the Holy Spirit which I had left home…

This morning I laid on my bed and began to wonder… What can we do, as Christ Followers, to bring all these people (whom I met in Zouk) to God? With all the temptations, I realized that we were facing an uphill task in spreading the gospels. The price is high for a lot of people: To exchange Boozes and Boobs for Bread and Bible. Who says being a Christian is easy? The price of being one is high. That’s the challenge that is facing the non-believers right down. It’s also something that our youth will be facing in the future as they choose between “being alive and kicking” and “to be buried and resurrected in Christ”.

As for myself, I know that I have to face with all this again in the future. It is my job and it is just part and parcel to “PR” in life… Jesus had mentioned before in Mathew 10:16 – “I am sending you out like sheep among the wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.” I just have to keep praying to God that I am able to practice Self Control in future functions. I hope it will be like what 1 Corinthians 10:13 says – “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home